BERLIN - US President Barack Obama on Wednesday said he would seek talks with Russia to reduce the number of strategic nuclear weapons both hold by up to a third. Speaking in front of Berlin's iconic Brandenburg Gate during a visit to the German capital, Obama said he was confident the US could maintain its security while reducing its nuclear capacity by a third. He also called for ...
KABUL - An angry Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Wednesday his government would not join US peace talks with the Taliban "until the peace process is totally under Afghan control." He also suspended talks with the US to discuss the nature of US military presence after international troops withdraw in 2014. A spokesman for President Hamid Karzai said the decision was taken over ...
Many people have rallied in support of controversial Independent TD Clare Daly after her extraordinary attack on the visiting U.S. president Barack Obama and his family. Daly didn't miss any punches on Wednesday morning in the Dail when she hit out at Obama, describing him as the "hypocrite of the century," and "a war criminal." She pointed out while he was in Northern Ireland talking the ...
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has used a luxury boat to tour the country's east coast amid indications that the 90-feet-long yacht may have been smuggled into the country in defiance of UN sanctions that bans importing of luxury items to the impoverished country. A website that tracks events in the reclusive state said the yacht, a Princess 95MY made by British-based ...
MOGADISHU, Somalia - At least 15 people, including some United Nations workers, were killed Wednesday when a UN compound in the Somali capital came under a bomb and gun attack by Islamist militants of an Al Qaeda-linked group, a minister said. Interior Minister Abdikarim Hussein Guled in a hurriedly called press conference said that the eight slain UN workers included four foreigners working ...
Winds: From the East at 6 MPH
Thirteen Days [DVD]
In a lean, tense two and a half hours, Roger Donaldson's Thirteen Days tells the story of the inner workings in the White House during the Cuban Missile Crisis, one of the most severe political moments of the 20th century and likely the closest the world has ever come to engaging in actual nuclear exchange. The script by David Self condenses and dramatizes some 23 hours of recorded mee ... ...
WASHINGTON - The controversial US snooping of foreign emails and telephone calls has prevented more than 50 potential terrorist attacks in at least 20 countries, the director of the National Security Agency (NSA) has said in defending the surveillance programme. The targets include the New York Stock Exchange and other important installations across the world, General Keith Alexander said ...
18 June 2013 150 United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced the appointment today of Major General Michel Finn, of Ireland, as head of Mission and Chief of Staff of the Jerusalem-based UN Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO), the first such operation the world body set up almost 60 years ago. "Major General Finn succeeds Major General Juha Kilpia of Finland, who will ...
Two world aviation industry giants, Airbus and Boeing, are engaged in fierce commercial battles for winning big orders for their long-haul airplanes at the 2013 International Paris Air Show. As the leading European aircraft manufacturer, Airbus Wednesday announced that Air France-KLM has ordered 25 Airbus A350 planes at list prices of $7.2 billion with an option for 25 additional aircraft, ...
Brad Pitt will open the 35th Moscow International Film Festival with the apocalyptic movie "World War Z", recently premiered in New York. Pitt, making his first visit to the Russian capital, will be the center of attention on the red carpet of the Oktiabr Theater Thursday. The actor will arrive in Moscow without partner Angelina Jolie, who was with Pitt, however, at the London premiere of the ...
North Korea is willing to restart nuclear talks with international partners, China's foreign ministry has said. North Korean officials said they wanted to peacefully resolve the nuclear issue, the ministry's website said. On Sunday, Pyongyang offered to hold high-level talks on regional peace with the US, although it has reneged on deals several times in the past. The comments from North ...
Did I hear right?
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Le Meridien Dubai
I had taken a rental car from Abu Dhabi and driven up to Dubai, a trip of about 140 kilometres. ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Zimbabwe StarZimbabwe Star | Longtime News Resource for Zimbabwe
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage. The Zimbabwe Star is no exception. As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day. Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Zimbabwe news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Zimbabwe news is a priority. National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets. Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Zimbabwe news, the weather forecast for Zimbabwe you'll find it all in the Zimbabwe Star. From Harare to Bulawayo, the Zimbabwe Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Zimbabwean president and his main political rivals in the coalition government have agreed to file an application at the Constitutional Court, seeking extention of the general elections' date beyond July 31, 2013.
The three leaders -- President Robert Mugabe, Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, and Industry and Commerce Minister Welshman Ncube -- met Wednesday at the State House and gave consent on an agreement (over delaying poll date), reported Xinhua citing the prime minister's spokesperson.
The agreement followed a recommendation by Southern Africa Development Community (SADC), an organisation meant to ensure common political values, systems and institutions among its 14 member states in southern Africa, over the weekend urging the coalition government to approach the court for a deferment of the poll date.
Mugabe and Tsvangirai are believed to be the main contestants for the country's top post in the upcoming elections.
The poll date in question was unilaterally decided by Mugabe last week. Meanwhile, the formal document is being prepared by the three parties' senior members.
Mugabe last week proclaimed July 31 as the election date in compliance with a Constitutional Court ruling but Tsvangirai argued that he was not properly consulted for the proclamation. ...
- Cook says England can win Champions Trophy without a doubt
- De Villiers admits chokers Proteas felt the heat during CT loss to England
- Disappointed Kirsten says Proteas deserves choker tag after CT crash-out
- Champions Trophy scoreboard England vs South Africa Semi-final
- England enter final with emphatic win over South Africa
- FIRST Quantum Minerals to lay off 500 workers at its Sentinel Mine
- K17 billion spent on By Elections so far against a 2013 budget provision of K5 billion-Miles Sampa
- KR 111.4 million Constituency Development Funds remains unutilised in 8 Constituencies
- We are an intelligent Government Guy Scott tells mining and energy conference
- Government to construct ultramodern fish freezing facility in Itezhi-tezhi District
- Jackie Chan admires Bollywood welcomes Indo-Chinese Cine collaboration
- Egyptians rappin away their feelings Revolutionary music a new outlet
- Sloan returns to Jazz as senior adviser to team
- Lewis Bridgewater blend generations of jazz at the Dakota
- Country music singer comes to the rescue after crash
- Lundbeck and several drug firms fined for pact to delay generic drugs
- Azad to inaugurate private ward at LRS Institute of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases
- Females prefer biological fitness than other traits in potential mates
- Gooey secret of naked moles rats cancer resistance discovered
- High-fructose diet could lead to liver damage
- UN iLanceti journal to hold meeting on AIDS response and global health
- American Medical Association Obesity is a Disease
- Letting other system doctors give allopathic drugs dangerous IMA
- Exposure to high pollution levels during pregnancy may double risk of having autistic kids
- Brazil to produce H1N1 flu vaccine
- Zimbabwean president rivals favour delaying polls
- Zimbabwe Tourism Ministry Wants Elections Before UNWTO
- Zimbabwe political rivals agree on court application for poll delay
- Moderate Zanu-PF Lawmaker Dies in Car Accident
- Highlanders Fails to Consolidate League Position
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Zimbabwe Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Uttarakhand Tourism Minister expresses concern over bad weather conditions
- Tourism Protests Keep New Luxor Governor Away in Egypt
- Tourism Minister announces new campaign to promote Himalayas
- A terrorist as governor in Egypt ICTP releases a statement on the resignation of Egypts minister of tourism
- Officials delighted with changes to Nevada tourism website